Board Members Sought
Green Thumbs is seeking nominations for directors with skills in finance, fundraising, communications, marketing, and strategic planning
About Green Thumbs
Our mission is to empower urban children, youth and their families to learn about, grow and prepare fresh foods, cultivated in an environmentally sustainable manner, in hands-on programs. We envision healthy communities and learning gardens everywhere.
Green Thumbs Growing Kids is a registered charity operating in Toronto, Ontario. We run programs at four school gardens in the Regent Park area, which focus on growing food, creating composting systems for lunchroom waste, encouraging our students to eat healthily, and delivering curriculum-linked garden activities. Green Thumbs is the lead organization of the province-wide vision, Imagine a Garden in Every School. We also act as a consultant to other schools. Our school garden programs are unique in that we offer year-round support to our partner schools. In the summer, we hire youth to maintain the gardens and to assist in programs for families and day camps. We also run youth (15-19 yrs) programs after school in the gardens and in two City-owned greenhouses, operate a small youth-focused social enterprise, and organize community engagement events. In the coming year, Green Thumbs Growing Kids board, staff and members will develop a new strategic plan.
Some background – Executive Director Sunday Harrison started Green Thumbs Growing Kids in 1999, with a passion for growing food and increasing children’s access to nature in the city. She completed a Masters in Environmental Studies and graduate diploma in Environmental and Sustainability Education at York University in 2014. She is familiar with Ontario curriculum expectations and engages with staff to integrate garden-based learning into many subjects.
Call for New Board Members
Some Green Thumbs directors have completed two terms of two years each, and are stepping down as required in our By-Laws, thus creating openings for at least two new members.
- We are seeking an individual with proven experience in financial management to join our board’s Finance Committee. The work of the Committee includes monitoring GTGK’s financial position, reviewing monthly financial statements and providing oversight in the preparation of our annual budget.
- We are also seeking directors with fundraising experience. All members of the Board contribute to the development of the annual fundraising plan and participate in events and donor stewardship activities.
- Finally, we are seeking board members with communications and marketing experience, to support the organization with outreach, and mentor board and staff members on brand management and strategic communications.
Key board responsibilities and commitments will include, but are not limited to:
- Becoming a member of Green Thumbs
- Participating as a volunteer Director of the Board to provide the organization with strategic guidance and financial governance,
- Thinking strategically, tactically and operationally to ensure effective development of new programming and fundraising initiatives,
- Attending Board meetings (one evening per month at the Centre for Social Innovation in downtown Toronto) and participating as needed on Board committees,
- Representing Green Thumbs at community events,
- Assisting with board projects linked to fulfilling our Strategic Plan,
- Volunteering 10 to 15 hours per month in the role, including frequent email communication,
- Committing to a two-year term.
- Previous non-profit board experience is preferable,
- Significant knowledge and/or interest in environmental/food sector initiatives,
- Corporate governance and strategic planning ability,
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision,
- Collaborative, confident leader with excellent organizational, facilitation and problem-solving skills.
If interested, send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com .